Thursday, September 4, 2008

Proper Attire Required

Getting ready for work this morning, I was faced with a difficult decision. Do I a) dress as I normally would, b) wear one of my Redskins jerseys and risk being inappropriately-clad should a client drop by or c) wear something else Redskins-related and show my support in a somewhat more toned-down manner?

After much deliberation and a few female-like outfit changes, I finally decided to go with Option C. Walking to the Metro sporting a long-sleeved burgundy shirt with the script R on the front and the lyrics to "Hail to the Redskins" on the back, I was the recipient of quite a few nods and a couple of "like the shirt!" comments (all signs of a good decision).

But then, after lunch, came a gentleman wearing an Eli Manning jersey. As I was walking back into our office building, I passed the stout New Yorker and was greeted with what seemed to be a sincere "good luck tonight." My response, as I wasn't sure of his intentions, was "same to you."

See what just happened?

To get a pretty good indication of where the season stands, I think, all you have to do is look at how opposing fans treat each other. If today was, say, December 4th instead of September 4th -- and for the sake of argument, the Skins and Giants were tied atop the NFC East -- there's a pretty good chance I would've ignored his comment or, if I was feeeling frisky, stuffed him into the nearest trash can.

Since the season hasn't even begun yet, however, I remained civil. The way I see it is that there's no point in getting into an argument when both teams are undefeated, so I took the high road. Fans of the New York Giants have every right to celebrate their team's Super Bowl upset and, as far as I'm concerned, can enjoy the ring ceremony and all the subsequent shenanigans while they last (because let's be honest, they won't last long).

Now if you'll humor me, rewind a few paragraphs...

Do you think if the Skins were opening up against the Cowboys and the gentleman was wearing a Romo jersey instead of an Eli jersey, I would've reacted the same way?

Of course not. I would've simply asked if he was from Texas and, when he responded no, I would've told him where to stick said jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment